COVID-19 and diabetes: What you should know
2. How can I defend myself from getting COVID-19 if I’ve diabetes?
Along with training the really helpful CDC tips on an infection prevention (like washing your fingers, not touching your face, sporting a masks and social distancing), observe your common care plan to regulate your blood sugar, together with:
- Taking your drugs as directed by your healthcare supplier.
- Making certain that you’ve got sufficient drugs, lancets and take a look at strips.
- Getting vaccinations. It’s extra necessary than ever to remain updated on immunizations. If in case you have diabetes, get the flu shot and ask your supplier in regards to the pneumonia vaccine.
- The flu shot and different vaccines will not forestall you from getting COVID-19. Nevertheless, they are going to assist defend you from getting COVID-19 and one other virus, just like the flu, on the similar time.
- Not delaying care and retaining common appointments. It is rather necessary to proceed to obtain common care, monitoring and remedy of diabetes throughout the pandemic. Greater than ever it’s vital in your well being to handle your diabetes and work together with your well being care supplier to optimize your remedy. Many appointments will be performed by way of video go to, together with diabetes training for extra steering or seeing a dietitian for meal suggestions.
- Making wholesome dietary selections to maintain blood sugar higher managed and reaching out to your healthcare supplier in case your blood sugar isn’t effectively managed.
- Being energetic for 30 minutes a day. You’ll be able to nonetheless go for a stroll whereas training social distancing or attempt a free on-line exercise video.
- Getting sufficient sleep each night time and reaching out for assist if you’re feeling extra burdened or anxious. Sleep and stress administration are necessary to assist your immune system.
3. Do some drugs for diabetes or hypertension make COVID-19 sickness worse? What ought to I do in the event that they take these drugs?
It’s best to proceed to take all drugs as prescribed, together with ACE inhibitors or angiotensin receptor blockers. Nationwide tips and consultants do NOT suggest making a change to your drugs due to COVID-19. Contact your healthcare supplier to debate any questions on your drugs.
4. What ought to I do if I develop signs of COVID-19?
First, it is very important do not forget that most instances of COVID-19 will trigger delicate to reasonable signs. Keep residence in case you have delicate signs, and name your healthcare supplier for added steering in your distinctive medical issues.
They might suggest a digital go to (video or cellphone) to get a greater understanding of your signs and make further suggestions for testing and care. If you’re recognized with COVID-19, it is rather necessary to carefully monitor blood sugar ranges and attain out to your major care doctor for added steering.
If you’re experiencing signs of coronavirus, contact the HonorHealth nurse line at 480-587-6200 or chat with a caregiver. They will direct you to the most effective place for care. If you’re experiencing a medical emergency, name 9-1-1.
5. Can I take ibuprofen or different NSAIDS for signs of COVID-19?
You might have seen information reviews saying that NSAIDS and ibuprofen might make COVID-19 signs worse. Right now, this has not been confirmed, and there have been no nationwide tips recommending that sufferers mustn’t use these drugs. Nevertheless, folks with diabetes might produce other circumstances for which NSAIDS is probably not really helpful, akin to kidney illness or hypertension.
Acetaminophen is the often the most secure factor for folks with diabetes to take for fever, headache or muscle aches. Please word that acetaminophen can doubtlessly have an effect on readings from steady glucose screens; discuss to your healthcare supplier earlier than taking this medicine. They might suggest that you just test your blood sugar with finger sticks whereas taking acetaminophen.
6. What different assets can be found to assist me handle my diabetes throughout this time?
Along with digital visits (and in-person visits if wanted), your healthcare supplier can prepare video visits with different members of your care workforce, together with a dietitian or behavioral well being specialist.
Many individuals are discovering themselves beneath extra stress, feeling down and unhappy, or all the time anxious proper now. You aren’t alone if you’re scuffling with any of those signs. Please attain out to your healthcare supplier if you’re discovering it difficult to deal with the stress of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Notice: This text was final reviewed on September 16, 2020. We’ll proceed to replace it as new data turns into accessible.